Oct 5, 2016

Tom Sawyer Autumn Journal Cover


I am truly on top of the world today!  I am joining the frilly side of the Frilly and Funkie Design Team as a guest for their Author Author challenge.  Sue Czosek is our host.  Here is how she describes the challenge:  "There are so many wonderful books that inspire the mind to imagine the worlds created within them.  Think fairy tales, mysteries, romances or even science fiction and use that to inspire your art.  Provide an explanation of how the book and author inspired your project.”

I chose to do a tribute to Mark Twain because of my love for his books Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  As a child, I truly wanted to be just like Tom Sawyer and was always scheming up a runaway plan that involved living off the river!  Oh boy, my poor mama!  I found this image from a movie through Wikipedia.


I have a few purchased journals that were in desperate need for a facelift.  I started by covering the cover with book pages, a tribute to the theme.  While my adhesive was drying, I added some IndigoBlu Megaflake in chocolate box randomly.  Next, I used Tim's layering stencil with Prima's Art Basics Modeling Paste over the pages.


After my background was dry, I sprayed a variety of Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays and let them muddle.

I used Rusty Hinge, Dried Marigold, and Vintage Photo Distress Inks to color my die cut leaves.  The Fall Foliage Thinlet Dies work perfectly with manilla card to create sturdy dies.  I usually ink my paper first then sponge additional ink if necessary after they are cut.


I built up a group of torn book pages and layered my image bundle over some broken twigs.  I decided to add the leaves as though they had just fallen on the page, rather than in an arrangement.  I curled each one and used hot glue to adhere.


I added some at the opposite corner and adhered burlap ribbon to create a closure.


I just love those pooling inks peeking out!


I adhered one of the dies from the Friendship Words thinlet set.  We can't always be perfect, but we can try our best, live our our grand dreams, and most importantly be genuine and transparent.


As you can see this cover is quite bulky, but I think it will work well as a journal because of the spiral binding and hard covers.  I can still open it and let the pages lay flat.





I used these LSG sprays:
(Sandra Dee Sepia, Tears on My Pillow Tangerine)
(Cafe au Lait)

I'm also sharing with:

29 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Oh wow Autumn this is just a delightful journal cover. I love your choice of author and the way you have created the cover to reflect the books. The bundle of twigs and the natural fall of leaves over them looks so authentic, bulky maybe but brilliantly tactile. Great job xxx

Cathy - CMP Designs said...

Absolutely love this project!! I love the fall colours and the author you chose. The broken twigs are my favorite part. I use driftwood from the beach on some of my stuff. Awesome guest designer post! :)

Suzanne C said...

This is fabulous! Love that image and how you added the beautiful fall touches and the gorgeous background. Thank you for joining us as a guest designer this week and sharing your lovely Tom Sawyer!

sarascloset said...

Brilliant journal cover, and a great author to be inspired by! I loved this book as a child, too! I love your inky background, the layers and leaves! Gorgeous fall make!

Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot at Frilly and Funkie; so well deserved, and we are privileged to have you fill in for the team! big hugs!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

This is wonderful! I love the twig layer, as it reminds me of Tom's raft, which is just so clever! Your autumn leaves make me feel all nostalgic, also perfect. I bet I've read Tom Sawyer at least a dozen times. It was a favorite read aloud when our kids wer young. I'm with you...Mark Twain is the best! So wonderful having you guest design with us! Gorgeous work! Xo

Helen Wallace said...

A gorgeous mixed media project in vibrant Autumnal colours. Delightful.

Jenny Marples said...

This is such a treat to see Autumn. All that Fall colouring, the beautiful leaves, hints of flake and the clever use of twigs make for a story in themselves. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie as a special Guest Designer. You have most definitely done the team proud xx

Words and Pictures said...

I just love the rustic spontaneity of this - a real treat of a make. Congrats on a fabulous F&F guest spot.
Alison x

rachel said...

absolutely gorgeous Autumn - an amazing page - love it to pieces xx

Redanne said...

First off, huge congratulations on your GDT spot at Frilly and Funkie!! The Tom Sawyer image is a delight and you have surrounded him beautifully with the rustic leaves and twigs and the gorgeous Autumn colours. The burlap ribbon is a wonderful closure too. Love this... Hugs, Anne xx

Redanne said...

Meant to say, I love that Tim stencil that you used, I have not seen that one before, it is gorgeous - off to track it down now.... x

kiwimeskreations said...

Autumn this is stunning - love all the texture, and the colours too all combine for an awesome cover.
Blessings
Maxine

craftytrog said...

What a stunning cover for your journal Autumn! I love the theme! xx

Marty F said...

This is quite awesome, Autumn! Fall is my favorite time of year and I love all of your beautiful colors and textures and the way the leaves look like they just fell from the tree onto your page! Congrats on your Guest Designer spot :-)

LeAnne said...

This is just amazing! I saw this yesterday on the F&F blog...stunning!

Pawsitively Creative said...

Beautiful and such a fun share! Tom was a big part of my childhood and I learned how to go on adventures because of him. So many gorgeous elements to your design Autumn. This just begs to be held and admired. Gorgeous dearie! Hugz to you muffin! And huge congrats on your guest spot!

Deb said...

What a fabulous fall creation Autumn, love that wonderful image and the leaves look like you gathered them from the yard! Thank you for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares! Deb xo

Heather Ulmer said...

Beautiful work and thank you for sharing your process! I love all of the layers and the beautiful fall colours. Thank you for participating at Emerald Creek Dares!

Mimi said...

Oh Autumn: they are lucky to have you as GD at FnF!!! This is glorious, and i can just smell the river!

sarascloset said...

Hi, Autumn, I'm back to say thank you for sharing this with the Celebration challenge at Emerald Creek Dares! I love all your natural elementsnjh! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Autumn, this is amazing. I love, love, love the layer process.

Cec said...

Absolutely wonderful cover transformation. Love the fall theme with the scattered leaves and twigs. This has great texture and colour to go with that vintage image. Glad you could join the team for this challenge.
Hugs!
Cec

Lisa said...

First of all, huge congrats on your so-deserved guest design spot!! You did an amazing job!! What a stunning cover!! The Tom Sawyer image is fabulous!! The leaves look like you went outside and plucked them from the ground and added them!! I love the colors and texture and every fabulous detail!! Gorgeous my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Anjie said...

Wow! Amazing make. Thanks for joining us in our week 40 Anything Goes challenge at Digi Choosday
Anjie (DT)

Zoe Hillman said...

This is so gorgeous Autumn! It's beautifully vintage and I love the leaves mounted over twigs. So lovely to have your guest designing. x

Mary Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness Autumn! I am head over hills in love with this journal cover. I adore the pooled inks peeking out as well. The broken twigs ... genius! Love the gorgeous autumn leaves and colors. It definitely evokes the sense of wonder and adventure of Tom. Twain is on of my favorite authors and you have helped me relive what I love most about his works. Stunning -- Mary Elizabeth

Katelyn said...

Wow! Fabulous project Autumn. Love all the texture and colours you've added to your journal! Thanks for joining us on the Emerald Creek Dares Blog!
-Katelyn DT member at Emerald Creek

Pammejo said...

Fabulous project, love the feel of Autumn...my favorite time of the year. Thanks for joining us on the Emerald Creek Dares Blog! Pam DT

Karen said...

Love this project! Great job!

Popular Posts