Oct 27, 2015

Vintage Tim Holtz Reindeer Christmas Wall Hanging Tutorial

hangie 1
I thought it would be a lot of fun to show you a quick idea for making handmade Christmas gifts on the cheap using stamps.  With one BoBunny chipboard book, I was able to create 6 of these project kits.  I chose a traditional vintage Christmas color combo for these reindeer wall hangings, perfect for any decor.
hangie 2
Each page had a different border cut along one edge and the pages were staggered.  I cut them all down to the same size so it would be easier to create several kits.  Tip: I use my old paper cutting blade and standard paper cutter to do this.  Cut on one side, then flip over and cut on the other side - easy.  Next I stamped dots in Adirondack cranberry along the edges to give it some dimension.  I sponged the raw edges with this color too.  Then I selected my papers and cut them to size.  The poinsettia, music, and chevron papers were all Heidi Swap.  The plaid is Authentique and the wood grain for the stamping the deer and wreath onto are Basic Grey.
hangie 3
For my base layers of poinsettia and plaid papers, I cut a piece of cardboard as a backer to lift the paper and so I wouldn't have to use a ton of mounting tape and it would lay nice and flat.  I barely used any and it is so sturdy.  I distressed the edges and sponged Lettuce and Meadow Adirondack inks along the edges.  Next I stamped the wreath in Lettuce and Oregano and cut it out, then distressed and sponged the edges.  I painted the berries with acrylic paint.  I layered this over a sponged kraft doily.  I stamped the deer in Vintage Photo and quickly clear embossed it.  Distress inks can be used for embossing, but you have to heat within seconds of stamping.
hangie 5

I mounted all the layers with multiple layers of mounting tape and finished with some fabric stickers by Little Yellow Bicycle, which I sponged with Vintage Photo.  The Season's Greetings sticker is by Cosmo Cricket. The poinsettia is from the Christmas Shop at HL.
hangie 6
For the hanger I used brown grosgrain ribbon tied in a knot at the holes on each side.  I layered a twine bow, then the red and green ribbon bow using hot glue.  Lastly I added some TH Holiday Greenery holly die cuts with mounting tape under the bows.
hangie 7
I created this project for the RRR design team call - but then chickened out!  Any who, I'm linking up to RRR for their Get a Head Start on Christmas challenge HERE and to SSS for their Throwback challenge, for which I chose the Christmas/Holiday challenge from last year, HERE.  Do tell me what Christmas gifts you'll be making this year.

12 comments:

*Vicki* said...

WOW!! This is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the various papers and patterns to make this look like a pretty Christmas design!! Thanks for sharing!

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous card and gorgeous bows you should have definitely applied
carol x

kiwimeskreations said...

What a lovely hanger Autumn - love your traditional colours and the design.
Blessings
Maxine

Sandra said...

Ohh wow! This is so pretty! Love every bit of it! The bows on top are so cute! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Petra Swart said...

WOW, what a great idea, Autumn!!! This is really beautiful - such a lot of lovely detail to look at!!! You have put together all the elements perfectly!!! I really like those stunning bows at the top!!! Fabulous project!!!!
Have a great day!!!

MaryH said...

My goodness, so much detail packed into this wonderful project. Love the combination of the paper designs from the different companies, (Authentique is one of my favs, along with G45). I especially liked your tip about coloring, then overstamping as you did on the border lace. Wonderful work on the poinsettia, it looked so 'touchable', and again, thanks for the tip on using the chipboard circle to layer. Loved the pine wreath with the graceful deer, and of course that bold striped bow...again more texture with the ribbon weave & tied with the twine. This is indeed a marvelous gift & you did super work on it! TFS &Hugs.

Connie Mercer said...

wow~love this! So pretty!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Autumn, This has the most gorgeous vintage/retro appearance to it.
Adore this!
Wishes
Lynne

Words and Pictures said...

Wonderful use of those retro stamps - this makes for a fabulous piece of holiday decor.
Alison x

Peanut said...

The papers and image work so well together. That poinsettia add s colour and dimension to the card... gorgeous creation, Autumn.
hugs, Asha

Unknown said...

Your bows are beautiful!

Thanks so much for joining us at RRR! Hope to see you again soon.
Jenn-DT

Bonnie Garby said...

Beautiful card and I love your pretty bow clusters! Thanks so much for participating in our Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge.

Popular Posts