Sep 19, 2015

Sometimes I Make Ugly Things Pretty Journal Page

journal 1
 Today I am sharing this rather raw journal page, which I created because I was struggling with ruining my art as I try to build layers and layers.  I often regret covering up the best parts, especially when it was prettier before I added more...  I know you can relate people!  Anyway, I decided that sometimes my work will end up better because of it trying to add dimension, and other times worse, but it's all part of the process.  For me, I am learning when to quit while I'm ahead and when to recognize that I don't have to add more just because.
journal 2
 I did some doodle lettering and filled in the spaces with a Sakura gelli roll pen - FUN!  Added some great dimension to my flat painted background.
journal 3
 You can see how shiny it is here.
Journal 4
 Here's a closeup of some stencil work with ink spray.  I mix Dr. PH Martin's liquid acrylic watercolor with water and use a mini mister.  This stuff is AMAZING and dries permanent!!!  No smudging when you try to build over it.  This stencil was store bought, though I usually make my own from file folders and scissors.
journal 5
Here you can see some etching I did in the wet paint layers.  Love doing this!  The dots were made by stamping with the end of my paintbrush.  I'm linking up to Balzar Designs for the Journal Every Day linky party HERE and to Mixed Media Monthly Challenge HERE, where I used the inspiration colors and repetition in the leaves.  Hope you enjoyed this peek, let me know what you think.  :)
MMMC

4 comments:

Mary Brack said...

Oh Autumn, I absolutely love this page! And I so relate!

Dianne said...

I agree, it is hard to know when to stop! I think I read a quote once that said " a piece of art is never finished. They just stop in interesting places." no idea if that's an accurate quote or who said it. I really love your finished page and your journaling!

Donna B. said...

What a fun journal page. I'm glad you were inspired by our photo. Thanks so much for joining us this month at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Rachel said...

this is really pretty! im still trying to 'edit' myself and quit while ahead! Thank you so much fojr playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Popular Posts